Monday, October 24, 2011

Book review: POSSESS by Gretchen McNeil

To see my Afterglow for this book, click here.


This book was a wonderful, frightening surprise. Set in the Catholic culture, Bridget, a student at St. Michael's, discovers that she has the power to banish demons. Exorcism has never been something that really interested me, mostly because it creeps me out. This book did an amazing job of creeping me out but still keep me engaged--I cared about the characters and I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

There was a bit too much language for me at some points, and some of the adults acted too young for their age. Parts of the story-line were predictable, but the ending took me completely by surprise! It's rare that a character realizes something before I do as the reader, and when that happened here I was thrilled. I love being surprised, and Gretchen pulled it off in the end!

If you're looking for something spooky to read over Halloween (or any other time of the year) pick this book up! It's a wonderful addition to any book shelf!

♥tg

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were an afterglow reviewer! Me too :) Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has me hooked from the cover alone! It is phenomenal! I can't wait to read it. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I don't think I've ever encountered adults acting too young for their age. Interesting observation. It sounds like a great read, though, and I agree with Abby: the cover is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. And I don't even ususally like covers with faces or pictures of people on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you loved it enough to Afterglow it. Heading over to read your review right now.

    I'm not keen on horror, but sometimes if it's done well I enjoy it. Surprise, surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally creepy cover! Hey a fellow Theater girl...I was a theater major at SDSU. Good luck. I found you through the Killer Characters Blogfest.

    ReplyDelete

Share your passion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...