Thursday, December 22, 2011

My life is a musical




♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ 



Ok, maybe not to that extent, but I'm not lying.

I hardly do anything without a musical accompaniment, whether it be on my computer, iPod, playing piano, listening to the radio, singing myself, whatever!! There's always music around me.

I realized today that it's kind of to the point of being ridiculous. If I'm not singing, I'm humming or tapping my foot or listening to someone else sing.

And to answer your question, yes, I make up songs on the spot.

I also take time to actually write songs every once and a while, but not as often as I'd like.

And I do burst out into dance every once and a while, but usually when I'm on my own.

I just regret that people don't join in with me.....*heavy sigh*

So when I'm writing my novels, I have playlists I listen to for each of them. These playlists inadvertently make it into the story (unless I'm working on my epic fantasy....I think our style of music wouldn't exactly have been available...). My main characters favorite song, though I may never mention it in the actual novel, will end up on repeat for about an hour or two as I work on the story. Different characters have different theme songs as well, so if I'm writing a scene that's heavily about them I'll turn that song on. Sometimes I just listen to Pandora and let myself discover new music to help the mood (and for my own enjoyment).

And when I'm writing a scary or adrenaline-filled scene, I HAVE to have ominous music on.

If it's not readily available, I'll hum or sing to myself.

I've actually had entire novels come into my mind just from listening to one song and imagining the characters (Taylor Swift's GREAT for this). I've also written a couple songs about my own characters, just to get a better feel of who they are. Music says so much more than words ever can, and I only wish I could include that music in my books for my readers to experience.

So what do you guys think? Am I just crazy here, or do you agree that there's something special about music? I personally feel that music is an amazing tool for communication and that it can bring out feelings and emotions in each of us that nothing else could.

What role does music play in your writing?


♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ 


♥tg

1 comment:

  1. I find that it helps sometimes to have music playing quietly in the background whilst I'm writing. It doesn't always work out for me though and it depends entirely on the piece of music. When there are lyrics I can never truly concentrate on my writing, but if it's just a melody I think it helps an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete

Share your passion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...