Saturday, July 16, 2011

I am a victim.

Our society functions through stories. Stories in the newspaper, on the television, in the room across the hall, within our own homes. Stories that are depicted in movie theatres and acted out by children, stories of distant lands and the girl next door.

But most importantly, stories of ourselves.

It doesn't matter how many times I get on stage, or how many times I put a pen to paper, each story I tell is a reflection of the life I have lived. With each note I sing, each word I type, each monologue I perform, I am bringing what I have learned and experienced into the story I am telling. No matter how different the character I am playing may seem, I can always identify with them in some way.

So I am a victim. I am a victim of music; I am captivated by the subtle chords and progressions that compose a song, and held prisoner by lyrics that cause my heart to beat faster. I am a victim of theatre, of the thrill of performing in front of a live audience and the wonder of experiencing a whole new world come to life in a once blank stage. I am a victim of telling stories, of sharing with others all I have learned and experienced and seeing their lives change for the better.

I am a victim of writing.

1 comment:

  1. Great writing! I've been thinking about this a lot lately since so much of a writer's life is consumed by story. It's so true. Story is life. My very favorite authors found a way to make their stories reflect the depth of eternity and the challenge of daily choice. Even Jesus was a storyteller. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your passion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...